State Defense Forces

..Information and Discussion..

Moderator: bilbo37

brazo74

Postby brazo74 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:47 am

Although an SDF is a state military, it does help to write your U.S. representatives as well. I think there is a bill proposed now that would allow the DOD to share or hand down equipment,and help with training the SDF. I will have to check on that and let you know so you all can write your representative. It is a good idea to hound your state legislature about supporting your SDF as well.

gmg
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby gmg » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:44 pm

I'll get to doing the new arrangement for a sub-forum for y'all in a day or so. At least, that's the plan.

Freedom isn't free!

MD_SFC

Re: State Defense Forces

Postby MD_SFC » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:55 am

SDFSoldier wrote:Hello group,

I’d like to introduce myself; I am Sergeant First Class Ron Scott with the Maryland Defense Force. (MDDF) http://www.mddefenseforce.org/

Now you ask what is the MDDF? We are an authorized State Defense Force (SDF) for the State of Maryland, in Maryland there are four pillars to the Maryland Military Department, - Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) and the Maryland Defense Force.

Excellent post Ron, This is Barry. I just happened on this forum today, glad to see you here!
Excellent forum BTW. Very informative.

SDFSoldier

Postby SDFSoldier » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:02 am

Thanks, it never hurts to get the word out about all the SDFs

gmg
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My Apologies

Postby gmg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:09 am

Barry, welcome to the forum.

But the main reason for this post is to take the blame for Ron's late response to your post.

I did some maintenance and screwed something up and Ron wasn't able to log in for a few days. My fault, so don't blame Ron.

Oh yes, I'll be getting on that sub-forum for y'all by late Friday or Saturday morning. As I posted earlier, I thought I could do it sooner, but other matters had to go to the top of the priorities list.

Freedom isn't free!

SDFSoldier

H.R. 826, The State Defense Force Improvement Act

Postby SDFSoldier » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:26 pm

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/sh ... R_826.html

Did you know there is a bill to help the State Defense Forces? this is the third year they have tried to get it passed......

In brief from the website:

H.R. 826 would amend title 32, United States Code, to improve the readiness of State defense forces and to increase military coordination for homeland security between the States and the Department of Defense.

State Defense Force Improvement Act - Recognizes state defense forces as integral military components of the homeland security effort of the United States, while reaffirming that such forces remain entirely state regulated, organized, and equipped, and recognizing that they will be used for homeland security purposes exclusively at the local level under state law.

Authorizes the Secretary of Defense to coordinate homeland security efforts with, and provide assistance (including the use of Department of Defense (DOD) property, arms, equipment, and facilities) to, a state defense force, upon request. Leaves participation by a state defense force in a DOD or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) training program to state discretion. Requires a state to reimburse DOD for training assistance costs. Provides that funds available to DOD may not be made available to a state defense force. Makes the state liable for any injuries or damages incurred by a defense force member while engaged in training activities or state active duty.

brazo74

Postby brazo74 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm

SDF Soldier, you always hit the nail on the head! The hardest part of being an SDF is being taken seriously. The bill you mentioned is so important. The states need to realize what a value an SDF really is. You dont get paid unless you get called for SAD. You can get vets with great experience to help out. And its a good thing for people to enlist, so they can help. An SDF is a winner no matter how you cut it,as long as there is viable and regular training.SDF soldier, contact me with your thoughts, you are a good representative for SDF's everywhere! [email protected]

vtwin4christ

Re: State Defense Forces

Postby vtwin4christ » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:28 am

All,

I have not seen this post updated in a very long time... So I figured I would post some additional content in the hope to revitalize this thread.

1) All NG recruiters - I would highly recommend learning all you can regarding SDF forces. In my unit we have some amazing folks who couldn't qualify for the NG due to medical concerns... But they are an amazing asset to our state.

2) In addition to folks who didn't qualify off the street... All prior service members will enter the SDF based on the rank they maintained from the 5 branches of the US Armed Forces. This has proven to be a great asset for those of prior service who were injured in the line of duty, but no longer qualify for re-enlistment in the US Armed Forces.

3) ALL MEN! Years ago a young man from my church did something stupid. His stupid acts resulted in him having to do 4 years up state for something silly in the opinion of most. Now this young man has a label attached to him and is totally different than when he was sentenced. :(

If you encounter any young men without a male influence in their life... And you have that gut feeling they will be going down the wrong path... And you can't convince them to enlist in the US Armed Forces... Then grooming them towards the SDF may be a great solution!

They will be held to a higher standard! Bound by their states ethics committee as well as their states military code of conduct. Surrounded by other men (and women) who will groom them into maintaining a professional military bearing... And they will acquire many traits and skills that will compliment their resume.

Where the goal of the above is to prevent another young man or woman being lost to all the terrible things of this world. Surround yourself with greatness... And greatness is sure to bestow an individual by association.

Any other SDF team members out there or NG/Regulars who wish to learn more about SDFs???? Ask away.

Return to “++State Defense Forces++”