Haditha Bombshell.........

Site Links

Moderator: bilbo37

hmriley

Haditha Bombshell.........

Postby hmriley » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:08 pm

I'm going to assume the general thrust of this piece by Brennan is accurate.......I expect there will be an enormous effort by Sec Def to prove the article in error......

Based on what I read below, it is confirmation that the military leadership is nothing short of political stooges.........unwilling to stand up for the troops, unwilling to tender a resignation, unwilling to do the right thing, but rather willing to cavort with gutless political appointees who have one goal...protect their personal ass and throw the "cannon fodder" to the wolves.

This revelation sends a clear message.......military leadership and civilian authorities have betrayed our warriors for political gain........can you think of anything more despicable or cowardly?

Harry Riley, COL, USA, Ret

On the face

www.newsmax.com
Haditha Bombshell: Pentagon Had Secret Committee

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:51 PM

By: Philip V. Brennan

A shadow legal body was set up by the Defense Department to manipulate the prosecutions of U.S. Marines accused of massacring Iraqi civilians in Haditha in 2005.

That’s the bombshell disclosure from the Thomas More Law Center, a national public interest law firm that is representing one of the accused Marines, Lt. Col. Jeffrey Chessani.

And it could prove to be the most damning piece of evidence showing the political motivations behind the ongoing prosecutions of the Haditha Marines.

“The hysteria and media firestorm over Abu Ghraib and the Pat Tillman investigations led to fear of a similar media reaction to the Haditha incident, causing the military’s civilian bosses to set up this shadow oversight body,” Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel of the Law Center, told Newsmax. “This extraordinary action politicized the military justice system and was a clear signal to top generals that they were expected to hold individuals criminally responsible. The investigation turned into a quest for a prosecution — not justice.”

The shadow legal body included the senior official or a representative from the offices of the Under Secretaries of the Army and the Navy, General Counsel to the Department of Defense, and the Staff Judge Advocate of the Marine Corps.

The Marine Corps separately set up “Legal Team Charlie” to prosecute the Haditha cases, and lawyers were brought in exclusively for the team.

According to the Law Center, the director of the Naval Criminal Investigation Service admitted that more than 65 investigators were assigned, which in his opinion was the largest investigative effort in the department’s history.

“I am deeply troubled by the fact that the desire to appease the liberal anti-war press and politicians has led to the prosecution of innocent Marines for purely political purposes,” Thompson told Newsmax.

He went on to say, “These prosecutions will become a scandal of historic proportions unless terminated by independently minded and virtuous military judges.”

As Newsmax has been reporting almost from the outset, Marines of Kilo Company are being prosecuted for their house-to-house battle to flush out ambushing insurgents on Nov. 19, 2005.

In the firefight, 15 civilians were killed. Details of the battle and the civilian deaths were dutifully reported throughout the chain of command, including top generals, and all concluded that although this was a tragic and unfortunate consequence of urban warfare, the Marines were justified in their actions.

Months later, however, a Time magazine article — later proven to be erroneous — called the deaths of the civilians a “massacre,” setting off a media firestorm and leading the military to initiate investigations.

The secretary of the Navy countermanded a determination by then Marine Lt. Gen. James Mattis that Col. Stephen Davis, Chessani’s regimental commander, “would receive a 'Non-Punitive Letter of Caution,' which would not be part of his permanent record,” according to the Law Center.

“Mattis’ decision was overridden by the Navy secretary, who ordered a 'Letter of Censure,' a more severe punishment, which effectively ended this fine Marine officer’s career. As the consolidated convening authority in all the Haditha investigations, General Mattis’ decision, under normal circumstances, would be absolute and final.”

Chessani was not personally present at the scene of the ambush in Haditha, but the Marines responding were in his battalion. Chessani is charged with “dereliction of duty” and “orders” violations.

The 20-year Marine veteran and father of six faces a maximum of three years in prison, dismissal (an officer’s equivalent of a dishonorable discharge), and the loss of his retirement benefits.

An Undue Command Influence motion has already been filed on behalf of the two combat Marines facing charges over the Haditha battle. The Law Center said it intends to file its own Undue Command Influence motion on behalf of Chessani, and promised that further startling events will be revealed at that time.

In other developments, the court-martial of one of the combat Marines, Lance Cpl. Stephen Tatum, will commence Friday, March 28. Newsmax’s Nat Helms is in California to cover the trial at Camp Pendleton.

Editor’s Note: The Michigan-based Thomas More Law Center does not charge for its services and is supported by contributions from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The Center can be reached at www.thomasmore.org.

© 2008 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

riverdawg

Gee wizz am I in ozz

Postby riverdawg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:01 pm

I just joined this site and it seems that most of the news and posts are all anti American and Military.....it is like reading something from the Democrat party head quarters.

G

gmg
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby gmg » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:38 am

[size=0].[/size]

As the forum Administrator I think it's my duty to respond to your post, riverdawg. Mind you, not because negative posts are frowned upon here. Far from it. Opinions are to be respected. We served to defend the right of folks to freely voice their opinions and that stands for Veterans Today forum, as well. But I should clarify something, which I don't think I've done in the years I've been here.

First, though, your post being on this thread after Colonel Riley's post leaves me wondering if you were specifically referring to his post, or something else. I'll cover the possible "something else" after this thought.

It is not my intention to vilify The Honorable Donald C. Winter, Secretary of the Navy, but I think there may be some merit to the gist of Colonel Riley's post that some sort of political considerations caused the ruining of some military careers. This should not be something that is hushed up in a democrtatic society such as ours. In fact, I applaud Colonel Riley's post, because the first step in getting bad decisions, no matter why they were made, reversed is to bring the decision-making process out into the open. That is a very real purpose of a forum such as this. We may be a small corner of the Net, but the out-of-the-shadows process has to start someplace.

Now for the "something else".

I am the Forum Administrator, and John is the General Manager, thus the Site Administrator. My User ID may be somewhat confusing, but I am not the General Manager of the Veterans Today Network. We have, for example, the news side of the Network. I readily admit that John's politics are rather left of my own. Possibly far to the left. I, too, feel there is a bit too much negativity in some (or many) of our news stories. But that is not my territory. I have no more influence over what John wishes to publish than I have over what you eat for breakfast, riverdawg. Nor would I wish to have such power. Being able to freely voice different opinions is what makes our republic strong.

In fact, I don't even have a problem with left-leaning views being voiced here on the forum. If your views are expressed in a semi-respectful manner and without causing problems related to privacy rights, the members here have every right to express whatever is on their minds. It's just the way it's got to be.

Well, I suppose that covers what I thought needed saying.

Feel free to ask questions, if you have any.

[size=0].[/size]
Freedom isn't free!

Byanconny

Re: Haditha Bombshell.........

Postby Byanconny » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:47 am

Some people still do not understand these things. But I think it would be useful.

gmg
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Haditha Bombshell.........

Postby gmg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:01 pm

I will keep on apologizing because I feel like a real ass for letting things get out of control on this board, even if I have all sorts of nifty excuses to help me ease my feelings of guilt.

I am still having some trouble pushing the spambot posts out of sight, so I have to again just try to bump an older topic/thread.
Freedom isn't free!

Return to “===FALLEN WARRIORS===”