Home Depot & Veterans - Excluding Veterans

When People, Organizations and Companies Committ Fraud against Veterans, it's time to expose them! ...sound off!

Moderator: bilbo37

Home Depot & Veterans - Excluding Veterans

Postby LTKEEP » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:53 pm

I am a veteran and part time Depot employee. I am also a supervisor with US DOT. Right now the government is doing its annual Combined Federal Campaign charity program. Home Depot offers a "matching" program for non-profits, however, as I discovered yesterday, they will not match contributions to veteran's organizations. They also exclude religious, fraternal, social and political; all of which I can understand from the standpoint of not wanting to endorse a particular "belief system". I do not understand the restriction on veteran's (nor the exclusion of athletics, what's the aversion to youth soccer, baseball, etc?) and find myself offended by this exclusion. Any thoughts on this?

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby gmg » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:34 pm

I wonder if there could be some corporate guidelines at Office Depot that require an organization to be listed on the IRS Publication 78.

The VFW, for example, set up a foundation that is listed by the IRS in such a way that a donor can deduct contributions from their taxes, but a VFW post does not allow for such a federal tax deduction status.

One must keep in mind that a state tax exempt status doesn't necessarily translate to the IRS recognizing an organization in the same light.

I'm not familiar with the IRS status of any other veterans organizations, but it might be a good idea to have a list here of Vet groups that fall into the proper category for tax deductable donations and then we can 'educate' Office Depot, or any other corporation, as to which organizations 'fit the bill'.

We could start by somebody reseaching the IRS Pub 78. That might be a rather time consuming task. Any volunteers?

Freedom isn't free!

Return to “Fraud Issues”